Hand out one jump rope per student. Allow students to jump rope for five minutes. After they have had a chance to jump rope on their own, encourage them to try the following jump rope ideas or come up with their own unique way of getting exercise with a jump rope.
- X-it – Cross your feet so your legs look like and X.
- Slalom – Jump side to side like you are going downhill.
- Jumping jacks – Move your legs apart and together like you are doing a jumping jack.
- Twister – Jump and twist at the waist.
- Hop on one foot – Jump on one foot at a time.
- Alternating step – Jump on one foot at a time, kicking the other foot out in front like the running man.
- Boxer – Jump rope like boxers do, running while jumping.
- Heel tap – Tap your heels in front of you while jumping, one foot at a time.
- Toe tap – Tap your toe in front of you while jumping, one foot at a time.