This short lesson is aimed at getting youth to think about their responses to stressful or challenging situations, and to respond positively rather than by adding to the difficulty.
1. Show the What Pizza Wears Gloves video and The Two Arrows Explainer video.
2. Talk briefly about what they noticed and what they thought about these two videos. Ask if anyone has any questions about them.
3. Then ask about stress:
4. Then talk about how the videos mention “mindfulness” and “Change to Chill.” Ask youth if they’ve ever heard those terms before and what they think they mean. Talk about their ideas and share your own.
5. Show the youth the pens, sticky notes and wall space. Explain that as a group you are going to write as many ideas as you can about how to stress less or deal with stress when it comes up. Give some examples like, “go for a run,” “listen to music,” or “make slime with your friends.”
6. Give youth a chance to post their own ideas and read through others. Talk briefly about:
Keep the wall of notes up for as long as seems helpful. Consider also sharing the ideas through social media or school resources.
Hand out the Healthy Families Newsletter in English, Spanish, Somali and Hmong so that families can stress less at home.