Dear Health Powered Kids Partner,
We are all living in a time of uncertainty. Stress levels are rising not only for adults, but also for our kids and teens. Your Change to Chill and Health Powered Kids teams are here to support you through a Mental Health Virtual Care Package for students, teachers, and parents who are all adjusting to social distancing. In our care package you’ll find activities for de-stressing that can be done as a group, as a family, one-on-one with a child or as an individual. We know our community can build resilience through stress prevention and reduction activities like physical activity, mindfulness and more to get through this challenging period.
In good health,
Your Change to Chill and Health Powered Kids teams
This is your guide to keeping kids happy and healthy as a classroom or as a family:
- Get Out and Enjoy Nature
- Activity: Outdoor Energy Boost
- This activity demonstrates how our mood can improve simply by going outdoors for a short period of time.
- Activity: Outdoor Energy Boost
- Wash Hands for Health!
- Instructional lesson and coloring activity, ages 3-8
- Young people will be able to demonstrate proper and effective hand washing techniques.
- Hand Washing: A Weapon against Germs!
- Video and instructional lesson on hand washing, ages 9-14
- Young people will learn when hand-washing is essential and will be able to demonstrate proper and effective hand-washing techniques.
Press and Play Modules:
Try out these “press and play” modules in your classroom or at home. Slide decks include short lessons to promote mental well-being.
- Health Powered Kids “Press and Play” Modules Grades K-3
- Health Powered Kids “Press and Play” Modules Grades 4-6
- Change to Chill “Press and Play” Modules Grades 7-12
Access the slides directly in Change to Chill’s Google Folder.
- What We Can Do to Stress Less
- Young people will learn everyone can feel stress sometimes, that some stressful feelings are a normal part of life, and there are things they can do to help reduce and deal with stress, ages 9-14
- All Power Chargers
- Power Chargers are a collection of short exercises designed to give kids a quick activity break throughout the day. Use Power Chargers to wake up kids in the morning, energize them after lunch or help them focus before a big assignment.
- For more information on managing stress and anxiety during COVID-19 visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Remember, you can reduce community spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) by:
- Staying home.
- Washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Mildly ill patients are encouraged to stay home and contact their health care provider by phone for guidance about clinical management.
- Patients who have severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing, should seek care immediately.
- Older patients and individuals who have underlying medical conditions or are immunocompromised should contact their physician early in the course of even mild illness.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Throw away any used tissues and wash your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe