Getting enough sleep may be as important to your health as regular exercise and a healthy diet. Sleep plays an important role in healthy growth and development. Our body needs the deep rest it gets during sleep to help prevent injury, illness and brain development.
Sleep also helps us remember what we’ve learned, it helps us pay attention and concentrate, solve problems and think of new ideas. Studies show people can focus better when they’ve had enough sleep, that’s especially important for kids during school. Having enough sleep simply makes us feel better during the day.
Here are some things that can help anyone get into a good sleep routine:
- Go to sleep at about the same time every night.
- Do the same relaxing activities every night, like brushing teeth and reading a story. These activities will help you calm down.
- Avoid drinks that have caffeine in them, such as coffee or cola.
- Get some exercise every day (but not too close to bedtime).
- Take a nice warm bath or shower before bed.
Setting the stage for good sleep now is an important habit that can make a difference in your child’s future health. Check out our “Super Sleep” lesson to help your child determine how many hours of sleep they should get each night and learn how to track healthy sleeping habits in a sleep diary.